Haitian migrants hijacked a federally contracted private bus and then fled on foot Monday as they were being transported to an immigration processing center in Texas.
President Joe Biden’s border crisis headache just got much worse.
The revolt broke out among a group of migrants who were being bussed from a makeshift refugee camp in Del Rio, Texas, to the facility in Brownsville, Texas, National Border Patrol Council President Brandon Judd said Monday at a press conference alongside Texas Gov. Greg Abbott.
News reports Monday provided more details.
- “They did break out of the bus, and they did escape,” an unnamed senior federal law enforcement official told the Washington Examiner.
- No law enforcement was on board the bus, which was contracted by the Department of Homeland Security, Fox News reported.
- A spokesperson for Immigration and Customs Enforcement said three migrants “attempted to escape” and were “immediately apprehended by ICE officers and returned to the bus, which continued to Brownsville without incident.”
IN RELATED NEWS
Haitian migrants deported from the U.S. by plane Tuesday attacked the pilots and three ICE agents aboard another deportation flight after it landed in Port-au-Prince, NBC News reported based on “a source familiar with internal reports of the incident.”
- The pilots worked for a government contractor, and the ICE agents sustained “non-life-threatening injuries,” per the source.
- A DHS spokesperson confirmed “some adult migrants caused two separate disruptions on the tarmac,” adding Haitian authorities “resolved the situations.”
BIDEN’S POLITICAL PICKLE
The violent incidents came as the Del Rio migrant camp — which was formed by about 15,000 illegal immigrants, most of them Haitians — has thrust Biden’s border crisis into the headlines again.
- From the left: Progressive Democrats in Congress and immigrant advocates have complained about viral images of the Border Patrol aggressively policing the border and the deportations of some of the Haitians.
- From the right: Republicans and conservative commentators have sounded the alarm about reports of Haitian being released into the U.S. on a “very, very large scale” and accused Biden of enabling or even encouraging the situation.