From political identity to porn, Americans have often not been telling pollsters what the left wants to hear.
Maybe the arc of history doesn’t bend toward social justice after all.
Liberal elites have long purported to represent a systemically oppressed majority of the country, but recent polling has suggested progressives are out of touch.
1. Only 1 in 4 Americans identify as liberal.
Moderates ( 37%) and conservatives (36%) make up the largest ideological groups, according to a Gallup poll released last week.
- While liberals’ share of the population has grown, from 17% in 1992, they are still the smallest such cohort.
2. Hispanic Americans overwhelmingly reject progressives’ favorite new buzzword.
A Bendixen & Amandi International poll released in December found that 40% of Hispanics are offended or bothered by the term “Latinx.”
3. The public’s view of porn is more negative than you might think.
- According to a Gallup poll released in May 2019, only 37% of the public views porn as morally acceptable.
- “While Americans don’t support an outright ban on porn, then, they are far from porn-friendly,” Manhattan Institute fellow Charles Fain Lehman wrote in 2019.
- “Majorities say it is immoral, a sentiment that, data suggests, may be consistent over the past several decades. And there is at least some evidence that internet porn is considered substantially worse than its old-fashioned counterpart.”