Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., told Bloomberg News she is looking to trade in her Tesla for an electric vehicle made by unionized workers.
WHAT SHE SAID
According to Bloomberg, Tesla owner and CEO Elon Musk’s emergence as a liberal bogeyman — and conservative hero — has made driving one of his cars less sexy for Democrats in Congress.
- “He’s a billionaire. I could care less what he thinks,” said Ocasio-Cortez, a professed socialist, of Musk’s recent announcement that he plans to start voting Republican.
- Regarding her Tesla Model 3, which she bought in 2020, Ocasio-Cortez said: “At the time, it was the only EV that could get me from New York to Washington on like one, or one-and-a-half charges.”
- “I would love to switch,” she added.
- The Model 3 retails for about $46,000 to $59,000.
WHY SHE’S MAD
Last month, Musk teased Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter after she complained about what she sees as billionaire’s malign influence on society.
- “Stop hitting on me, I’m really shy,” he replied.
Meanwhile, Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, is considering buying a Tesla, per Bloomberg.