A POLITICO/Morning Consult poll released Wednesday found that less than half of Americans believe President Joe Biden is “mentally fit.”
It’s no longer just right-wing partisans who are having doubts about the president’s mental acuity.
Only 46 percent of voters believe Biden, 78, is mentally fit, according to the survey.
The negative 2-point margin represents a major opinion swing since Morning Consult asked the question last October.
- Then, voters deemed the president mentally fit by a 21-point margin.
- Survey respondents expressed rising doubts about Biden’s physical health as well.
- Meanwhile, a Harvard-Harris poll in October found 53 percent of voters said they had doubts about Biden’s fitness, and 58 percent said he was too old to be president.
Celinda Lake, a Democratic pollster who has surveyed for Biden, told Politico that scrutiny of Biden’s mental faculties has previously been relegated to right-wing media – but that’s starting to change.
- “Saturday Night Live,” often a punching bag for conservatives who accuse the comedy show of exhibiting a pro-Democrat bias, touched on the issue last month by introducing a “fun” and “lucid” Biden.
- “They’re running a very aggressive campaign on this, and it’s bleeding over into the mainstream a little,” she said. “By and large, the people who believe this are Trump supporters anyway or they’ve been exposed to the right-wing disinformation machine.”
- More broadly, some Democrats have voiced concern that their electoral roster as a whole is too old.
“The older generation does not want to pass the baton. You don’t have to die in your seat. Pass the baton on,” Florida state Sen. Shevrin Jones told Politico earlier this year.