Illegal immigrants are being provided with cell phones as part of the Biden administration’s “Alternatives to Detention Program,” the White House confirmed Wednesday.
President Biden seems unable to make the tough calls necessary to secure the border.
In response to a question by Fox News’ Peter Doocy, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki acknowledged the program, saying the phones were being used to track and “check in” with illegal border crossers awaiting immigration court proceedings.
Jen Psaki confirms Biden is giving FREE PHONES to illegal immigrants before releasing them into the U.S. pic.twitter.com/rJnbhTGXuK
— RNC Research (@RNCResearch) April 6, 2022
Doocy then asked if the program was an effective deterrent of illegal border crossings and if the White House was concerned released immigrants would simply take the phones and “toss them.”
- “Our concern is ensuring that individuals who irregularly migrate to the United States proceed through our process of, you know, of course, being monitored, but also participating in hearings to determine whether or not they will be able to stay,” Psaki said.
- Some released migrants are being given the phones and told to turn themselves in to Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials “in a city of their choice,” Los Angeles-based Fox News correspondent Bill Melugin reported Tuesday.
- Forty-four percent of immigrants who are not in federal custody fail to show up to their hearings, per 2019 Justice Department numbers.
IT GETS WORSE
Biden’s rollback of President Donald Trump’s hardline immigration policies have led to an escalating crisis on the border.
- Border crossings hit a record-high in 2021, while ICE deportations dropped to the lowest levels in the agency’s history, an annual report released in March showed.
- At least 160,000 illegal immigrants were released into the country from March to October last year, Fox News reported, citing Border Patrol documents.
Having already weakened Trump’s “Remain in Mexico” policy — after a court blocked him from scrapping it altogether — Biden plans to next month end the Title 42 public health policy.
- Biden’s own officials have warned that lifting Title 42 could lead illegal border crossings to surge to 18,000 per day.
BREAKING: Texas Gov. @GregAbbott_TX says that Texas will be sending charter buses of illegal migrants to Washington DC:
"The Biden Administration will be able to more immediately address the needs of the people that they’re allowing to come across our border." pic.twitter.com/MWM8IqCici
— Greg Price (@greg_price11) April 6, 2022