CNN host Brian Stelter insisted on air Sunday that the collapse of his network’s brand-new streaming service, CNN Plus, in full public view could turn out to be a success.
Stelter, speaking on “Reliable Sources,” his weekly talk show about the media, proposed: “It’s too early to know if this product, if this service was a success or a failure.”
"It's too early to know if this product, if this service was a success or a failure," Stelter desperately tried to rationalize the implosion of CNN+. And he chided the "haters." pic.twitter.com/vCFR3Q7dT4
— Nicholas Fondacaro (@NickFondacaro) April 22, 2022
“You know, you’ve got all the haters today saying this thing was a failure. I don’t know if we can even ever assess that, because it just simply didn’t have enough time because of the management’s change in direction,” Stelter said.
- “And at the end of the day, if you buy something, if you buy a giant media company you get to do whatever you want with it. But it does mean there’s a lot of suffering for employees, and frankly, disappointment among subscribers as a result.”
- “This is a worthy venture. This was an outstanding experiment,” Stelter added later in the segment.
- Warner Bros. Discovery announced Thursday it was scrapping CNN Plus after the network’s previous management reportedly spent $300 million on the service and failed to attract more than 10,000 daily users.
In March 2019, moments after prosecutors dropped all charges against actor Jussie Smollett for staging a hate crime against himself, Stelter said on air: “We may never really know what happened in the street that night in Chicago.”
- “But for his fans, for his friends, this is a triumphant moment that he can now get back to what he wants to do, which is work,” Stelter continued.
- Smollett has not returned to acting and was convicted in December of falsely reporting that he had been the victim of a racist and homophobic attack.