While the right is more or less united in condemning Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the base is done fighting for democracy abroad.
WHAT DID HE SAY
Mitchell responded to a reporter’s question about Ukraine by saying, “I’m not going nowhere to fight none of these wars for these politicians.”
I’m with him!!! pic.twitter.com/borJW1fduN
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) March 5, 2022
“I will fight for the people that I love, for the land that I love and the wildlife that I love, but I’m not going overseas to fight,” he added.
- Mitchell also alluded to allegedly corrupt Ukrainian business dealings by President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, and expressed doubts about media coverage of the crisis, saying: “I don’t think nobody knows what’s going on fully.”
- “I’m not going over there and fighting and God bless anybody that’s over there fighting and I hope that this sh*t just gets solved,” he said.
The Arkansas native is no stranger to making provocative political statements: Last month, Mitchell claimed during an appearance on a popular MMA podcast that the U.S. government is behind many mass shootings.
WHAT ARE THEY SAYING
The response to Mitchell’s remarks reflected fears among some conservatives that the war in Ukraine is reawakening the right’s post-9/11 hawkishness.
The video GG described as “wise, thoughtful” is a UFC fighter saying he doesn’t want us to spend any tax dollars on Ukraine because of Hunter Biden but he’ll gladly fight if the Russians come to Arkansas. pic.twitter.com/qH8iDy4BBe
— Tim Miller (@Timodc) March 6, 2022
Tim Miller, a writer for “Never Trump” center-right outlet The Bulwark, snarked at Mitchell’s pronouncement that he’d gladly fight if the war made its way to Arkansas soil.
- “‘Here’s a bunch of people who give no thought to politics… that must be wisdom’ is one of the dumbest concepts in American politics,” tweeted Matt Ortega, a Democratic Party media strategist. “People like that come up with absurd, impractical ideas. It’s not wisdom.”
- But Mike Cernovich, a right-wing Twitter influencer and staunch non-interventionist, saw sagacity in Mitchell’s homespun political stance.
- “This is the most coherent summary of how real Americans see foreign policy, you’ll never see better,” he tweeted.
WHAT ABOUT THE FIGHT?
Mitchell dominated his featherweight opponent, highly respected Brazilian veteran Edson Barboza, en route to a lopsided unanimous decision victory.
- During a post-fight interview with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, Mitchell announced he would be donating half his $45,000 purse to a children’s charity.
- UFC President Dana White said during a post-fight press conference that the company would be covering Mitchell’s donation.
- “The kid’s making 45 and 45 tonight, and was gonna give 45 to the [children] … and I respect that,” White told reporters. “And I said we’ll do it, we’ll take care of it.”