Nearly half of all young male Democrats endorse political assassination in the name of saving democracy, according to a new poll by a progressive group.
As the Jan. 6 committee gears up for primetime, the left’s political violence problem is getting relatively little attention.
The survey on political extremism, published last week by the Southern Poverty Law Center, found that 44% of male Democrats under age 50 approve of “assassinating a politician who is harming the country or our democracy.”
Republicans under 50 are less amenable to political assassination, per the poll, with 34% approving of the idea.
- Overall, when including all ages and both sexes, support for murdering problematic politicians is “slightly higher for Democrats than Republicans, driven largely by the approval of younger Democratic men,” the SPLC noted.
- On the other hand, Republicans (41%) were more likely than Democrats (34%) to agree “some violence might be necessary to protect the country from radical extremists,” the survey determined.
- Younger members of both parties were found to be much more supportive of political violence than their elders were.
With the primetime premier Thursday of the Jan. 6 committee’s public hearings on the Capitol attack, Democrats have a chance to drive home their midterms message that the Republicans are the dangerously extreme party.
We all saw what happened. Now, the Jan 6 committee will lay out the full scope of the conspiracy against the United States. We won't rest until Trump is convicted. pic.twitter.com/0c1CfZvGHk
— MeidasTouch.com (@MeidasTouch) June 9, 2022
However, an alleged attempt by a California man to assassinate Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh Wednesday has complicated that narrative, even if the mainstream media hasn’t given the news much play.
The attempted assassination of Justice Kavanaugh isn’t mentioned until the 20th page of @nytimes print edition today. We know the media is dishonest, but even media critics are nonexistent. It’s all complete rigged bullshit.
— Clay Travis (@ClayTravis) June 9, 2022
Nicholas John Roske, 26, has been charged with attempted murder after allegedly showing up Wednesday morning to Kavanaugh’s home with the intent to kill the conservative judge, the Justice Department said in a statement, citing the criminal complaint.
- According to the complaint, authorities’ search of Roske’s backpack revealed “a black tactical chest rig and tactical knife, a pistol with two magazines and ammunition, pepper spray, zip ties, a hammer, screwdriver, nail punch, crow bar, pistol light, duct tape, hiking boots with padding on the outside of the soles and other items.”
- After being taken into Montgomery County Police Department custody, Roske allegedly told detectives he was “upset about the leak of a recent Supreme Court draft decision regarding the right to abortion as well as the recent school shooting in Uvalde, Texas.”