MSNBC host Joy Reid ranked dead last in a survey asking Americans to rate the trustworthiness of various cable news talking heads.
There appears to be a cost to being a partisan hack.
An Economist/YouGov poll released Tuesday found that just 28% of Americans see Reid as trustworthy.
The only personality rated less trustworthy than Reid was InfoWars founder Alex Jones, who also happens to be the only non-mainstream news host on the list.
- CNN anchor Anderson Cooper ranked first on the list, with 44% judging the “Anderson Cooper 360” host trustworthy.
- Bret Baier and Sean Hannity were the most and least trusted Fox News hosts on the list, respectively.
- Among Republicans, Fox News host Tucker Carlson was deemed most trustworthy.
WAS IT SOMETHING SHE SAID?
Reid’s racially charged and at-times inflammatory rhetoric, both on her primetime show and social media, has earned her the ire of conservatives and gotten her into hot water in the past.
I’ll say it again: people on the right would trade all the tax cuts for the ability to openly say the n-word like in “the good old days.” To them, not being able to be openly racist and discriminatory without consequence is oppression. Trump is the avatar for this “freedom.” https://t.co/RlqAFYe5Zr
— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) March 4, 2021
A Fox News report published Thursday catalogued the MSNBC host’s history of controversial remarks.
- “Do you think ultimately, the history books, do you think they’ll even care that they’ll come down on the Dixiecrat side of history here?” Reid said on her show Monday, comparing Republicans opposed to President Biden’s Supreme Court nominee, Ketanji Brown Jackson, to southern Democrats who seceded from the party in 1948 over their opposition to civil rights.
- Last month, Reid said Republican senators questioning Jackson during her confirmation hearing were treating her like a “black shopper that they were following through the store.”
There are signs that some cable news networks are starting to question whether sensational and polarizing coverage is really the best business model.