If the 2024 election were held today, former President Donald Trump would be the GOP’s best shot at beating President Joe Biden, according to a new poll.
Trump skeptics who say the Republican Party needs a more conventional nominee to win in 2024 may be wrong again.
The Politico/Morning Consult poll, released Wednesday, found that Trump would effectively tie Biden in a head-to-head matchup — while other likely GOP nominees would lose to the president.
NEW POLL: @JoeBiden would lose badly to a generic Republican, 46% to 37%.
— Kenneth P. Vogel (@kenvogel) January 26, 2022
A generic Republican would blow-out Biden, 46% to 37%, per the poll.
- As for the GOP primary, 49% of Republican and Republican-leaning voters chose Trump as their preferred nominee, once again confirming the former president’s grip on his party.
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis was a distant second (14%), followed closely by Trump’s former Vice President Mike Pence (13%).
- If Trump didn’t run, the theoretical race would turn into a dead heat between Donald Trump Jr. (24%) and DeSantis (25%), the poll found.
Other polling has also shown Trump and Biden neck and neck — with the RealClearPolitics average giving the Republican a nearly 5-point advantage.
- Biden has said he will run again on 2024, and Trump has strongly hinted he will, too.
- In real life, of course, the Electoral College and not the popular vote decides who becomes president.
“THE HATERS AND THE LOSERS”
- “Trump energizes intense opposition like no one else, uniting otherwise divided Democrats while alienating a faction of conservatives and independents who normally vote Republican,” The Atlantic’s Conor Friedersdorf recently argued.
- But Trump rose to power by defying the political establishment’s certainties about how to make the GOP more “inclusive.”
- Even in his 2020 loss, Trump made inroads with black and Latino voters and helped to rebrand the GOP as the party of the working class.