“Trans lives start at conception!” a group of anti-abortion activists chanted at “pro-choicers” in a video posted to Twitter by Daily Signal reporter Mary Margaret Olohan.
Pro-life activists circle pro-abortion protestors, chanting repeatedly, “Trans lives start at conception!”
The pro-abortion protestors are singing something I can’t make out. pic.twitter.com/5lOQGlwokU
— Mary Margaret Olohan (@MaryMargOlohan) December 1, 2021
The chant appeared to be an attempt to put two defining progressive causes into tension: support for abortion and advocacy for LGBT rights.
- But some conservatives weren’t fans of the strategy.
- “The pro-life movement should not be pursuing an alliance or promotion of transgenderism, if we want to make a biological argument against abortion,” tweeted Matt Lamb, an assistant editor for The College Fix.
- The Supreme Court looked poised to uphold the 2018 Mississippi law in question, which bans abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy.
- Even if the court stopped short of overturning Roe, such a ruling would allow greater restrictions.
- “There are no half measures here,” Sherif Girgis, a Notre Dame law professor who once served as a law clerk for Justice Samuel Alito, told the Associated Press.