Several of former President Donald Trump’s diehard allies in the media have harshly criticized him for what they see as his failings of the populist right.
Trump isn’t afraid to defy political taboos when he thinks the people are with him.
The Daily Wire’s Candace Owens confronted Trump during a sit-down last week about his recent advocacy of COVID-19 vaccines and his failure to pardon WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange and National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- Longtime murmurs of discontent over Trump’s position on the issues subsequently got full-throated expression.
1. Candace Owens: After clips from the “Candace” interview went viral, Owens on Twitter Thursday downplayed her disagreement with Trump about the inoculations but stood by her opposition to the vaccine.
Truly love watching Candace Owens get owned by whoever’s been switching up Trump’s meds. pic.twitter.com/WaXZrASbCr
— francesca fiorentini (@franifio) December 23, 2021
Owens also suggested in an Instasgram video Friday that Trump’s support for vaccines was explained by him being old and not tech savvy enough to do “independent research” online.
2. Ben Garrison: In his latest work, published Friday, the pro-Trump editorial cartoonist depicted the former president riding the “Big Pharma Vaccine Bandwagon” while being booed by the red-hat crowd.
Ben garrison has officially turned on trump since he made the pro vaccine comments, looks like the MAGA train is going to need a new leader. pic.twitter.com/7wQPneMesU
— 🥀_Imposter_🕸️ (@Imposter_Edits) December 24, 2021
3. Alex Jones: The InfoWars founder blasted Trump’s pro-vaccine remarks to Owens in “an emergency Christmas Day warning.”
Alex Jones: “This is an emergency Christmas Day warning to Pres Trump. You are either completely ignorant .. or you are one of the most evil men who ever lived .. What you told Candace Owens is nothing but a raft of dirty lies.” pic.twitter.com/rNCNdvgNrm
— Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) December 25, 2021
“You are either completely ignorant about the so called ‘vaccine’ gene therapy that you helped ram through with Operation Warp Speed, or you are one of the most evil men who has ever lived,” Jones, a staunch but not unquestioning Trump ally, said on his show Saturday.
- “Your legacy will be that of a monster. Your legacy will be that of a eugenicist. Your legacy will be that of a child killer,” Jones told Trump. “Do not go down as Josef Mengele 2.0.”
4. Mike Cernovich: The veteran of the online right declared on Twitter Friday that Trump’s defense of not pardoning Assange and Snowden marked the end of his political career.
This video is the end of Trump. He will never be President again. He was always able to make a comeback as he seemed strong.
The illusion of a warrior who fights is over. You can’t ever walk this look back again.
— Cernovich (@Cernovich) December 24, 2021
HOW BASED IS TRUMP?
Trump was actually the worst at this lmao what a joke pic.twitter.com/qwpYNOn1dF
— Pedro L. Gonzalez (@emeriticus) December 26, 2021
But it has never been clear that Trump’s norm-defying politics is about right-wing ideology as much as it is about tapping into unaddressed sentiments that are broadly shared on the right.
Per Woodward's book, Trump mangles the name of the movement that helped him win the presidency. "I'm a popularist," he reportedly told Bossie and Bannon, who tried to correct him. "Yeah, yeah. A popularist," Trump said again.
— Tarini Parti (@tparti) September 11, 2018